Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Uniform Policy

I was just sent an e-mail regarding the new uniform policy at Delmar High School. Those of you who know me, know my feelings about this policy. It appears that a student has spoken out about this policy here. I have been told that this student was called to the office on Monday as a result of the comments and told how disappointed they were that he would say such things. So, now the school is not only telling the students what to wear, but also what say? This has been a controversial issue in the small town of Delmar. The policy, which has to be completely funded by the parents was not put to a parent vote. It was strictly a Board decision. Parents were sent a survey at the beginning of the school year, but no emphasis was placed on the reason for sending it. It more than likely ended up in the circular file in homes thoughout the town. Parents were also invited to attend "uniform policy" meetings which had very little attendance. This was probably due to the fact that parents did not know about the meetings. I'm sure I'll be sorry I asked, but what are your thoughts? Oh, and beware...I'll probably be rebutting...LOL

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always against school uniforms for various reasons. However, since the rise in school violence, I have been reconsidering my position. The reason police officers and prison guards wear uniforms is to set them apart. I can see the advantage of legitimate students wearing uniforms, so those that should not be in the school would stand out. However, I still do not like the idea of uniforms, and safety of the students is the ONLY reason I would support them.

Joe Friday said...

That is true. However, in a school setting, EVERYONE would be wearing the same thing. There would no longer be anything to set the gang members apart...though I am sure they will find something. Be aware that at this point, parents are being told there is no gang activity at the school...they are preparing for the future.

Anonymous said...

I believe in the uniform policy, as long as, it is subsidized by the school board. I dont think the parents should flip the entire bill. There also needs to be 5 uniforms issued to each child along with some sort of summer and winter variations.

I know the uniform requirment for some schools, the uniforms are more expensive then regular clothes. Which is BS to me.

And, the policy needs to be well thought out and strictly enforced.

That is the only way it will work. In my eyes.

Mike
From the other side of the ditch.

dan said...

As in all these cases, listening to the rebuttal of the affected teenagers is nearly pointless. Never in the history of time has any teenager ever welcomed rules or regulations to their life, and attempt at such (school uniforms, curfew, cell phone limitations) will be met with great protest and lamentations. I would much rather hear the parent's views. The kids are not going to like it, but they really do not get a choice. That's the breaks.

I hated the idea of uniforms as a child, and labelled those who argued for them "fascists." As a parent, I suppose that fascism has grown on me, and I am fine with the idea of school uniforms. The inital payout will be a bit of a hump for some families (and if I had to pay it, I know it would squeeze my buget.) However, there is a long time between now and the next school year, and plenty of time to buy the uniform piece by piece.

When families are looking at all the money that would be spent anyway on money for their children, how can these additions add that much of a burden? Maybe it will mean cutting back on cell phone / texting, or video game purchases, or whatever.

The students will spend less than 800 days in their entire lives in High School. 800 days out of god knows how many decades of life they will live. There will be plenty of time to "express themselves," "fight the power," and "declare their independance." School is not the place for that. School is for learning what you need to know and filling you mind with the knowlegde needed to become a contributing member of society.

Let's not get all bent out of shape about something this minor.

Anonymous said...

If they want to enforce a dress code I think it should be something kid friendly. Certain color, blank t shirts/sweatshirt, and jeans or shorts at exceptable lengths. These are kids and should be allowed to be just that. They have to dress up their whole life after graduation and I don't feel they should have to wear flippig office attire to school everyday.

Joe Friday said...

Dan,
Looking at the styles that some kids are wearing these days, I understand why some thought the need for some sort of enforcement. However, I do not think that this policy is the way to go. I was hearing from the administration that they spent the better part of the day trying to enforce. I find that difficult to believe. I firmly believe that the girls will find some way to show cleavage and the boys will figure out how to expose boxers. If the teachers don't help enforce now because they don't know how to interprest "tight or baggy" what makes anyone think they will be able to do so now? Some parents have to shop on a shoestring budget. They must look for sales and clearance items. Some parents can't shop for clothes now as their child may have an unexpected growth spurt. If they shop later, it will be difficult to find items, ESPECIALLY without emblems. Heck, even the discount stores are beginning to put emblems on the clothing in an attempt to look more fashionable. It may seem a minor issue, but to some of the students and parents in Delmar it is not.

It will be interestingfor me to see if a uniform actually raises test scores and grades. After all, that is what they actually attend school for.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea. It sounds like the school-approved attire would be cheaper to buy than the name brand merchandise most kids want. Plus, they won't have to worry about what to wear to school tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy am I glad you finally addressed this issue. I have talked to many parents on each side of the issue and each has valid points. My first question would be "Why don't we try enforcing the dress code the school had before going to the lengths of school uniforms?" We have always had a dress code, however, it was NEVER enforced across the board. It just depended on who you were and if you were "more well liked by administration and teachers" whether you had to abide by the rules. I have told my daughter on different occasions to change what she was wearing as it wasn't appropriate for school and she informed me that other kids wore the same thing and weren't sent home to change. (Needeless to say she changed.) Second if we are going to a dress code, and the parents are responsible for the cost, then there should be no vouchers for those who may not be able to afford the new "required" clothes. Please check into this as I believe there will be help for some families unable to pay for the shirts because they are now a requirement (Is that your tax money paying for another persons shirts along with the ones you are required to purchase for your child) If the concept is to take out the elements that take away from learning I agree with choosing 2 or 3 solid colors that can be purchased at local retailers. I also think that going as far as the color of socks that you can wear is ridiculous. What next orange and blue underwear only. As for logos other than Delmar's on clothes, my daughter shops primarily at one store in the mall for pants as they give her the most comfortable fit. That is no longer an option as thier logo (approx. 1/4" x 1/4" near the waistband) can not be worn. Of course they are there to "learn" not be "comfortable". I think alot more thought should go into some of these regulations as they are certainly not condusive to a learning enviorment when they are already creating such discord. Oh by the way, the survey went the way of more against uniforms than for, I was told, but I guess that didn't matter either.

Joe Friday said...

jcinsby,
While that might be true for suring school hours, one must still buy clothing for after school and weekends. I highly doubt the student will want to wear their uniforms then. To be fair, there is a vendor who will outfit your child with shirts (I am unsure about pants). I will check, but I believe the costof one shirt to be about $12. Walmart dress pants can be purchased for approcimately the same. For 5 days of clothing, that would be about $125. Aeropostle and Hollister has shirts for about the same cost if you look for sales. Then of course, the extra for after school hours. Imagine if you have three kids and you rely on only adding a few new outfits to last year's wardrobe (if it still fits., or hand-me-downs if they don't? I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's opinions. Just tossing out other views....

The saved time in the morning will probably be appreciated though. LOL

Joe Friday said...

Shew, my keyboarding skills leave much to be desired today. Hope everyone can decipher.

Anonymous said...

You are doing fine shooter. I have another question? Are the students going to be required to wear their uniforms to Friday night football games as they will be representing the school at this after school function? I usually buy multiple sweatshirts from the boosters during football season, but what is the point if the kids can't wear them to school and at the games. Seems to take a little away from some of these fundraisers these groups do.

Joe Friday said...

msresz,
I don't think they will have to wear their uniforms then, but at this point nothing surprises me. Many won't go to the games if this was the case and you know that the Athletic Department won't go for the lack of funds.

Anonymous said...

I can not imagine going to a football game on a cold or drizzly night with out a hooded coat or parka.

Shooter:

Them gals that just got to show some cleavage, and those boys that just gotta show their drawers, need an ass busting.

When I was in high school the vice principle (now known as assistant principle) would take a boy into a vacant room and smack the shit out of him. One of the old "Blue Hairs" would take the girls aside, and give them a sweater to wear, or call a parent to come and get them.

Joe Friday said...

I concur. But, I also believe that parents should also be held accountable for the way their children dress. I think I can say with certainly that the school would only have to call me once to come get my child.

Anonymous said...

When we wore uniforms in school we had one jumper and five blouses. We wore the jumper and had it dry cleaned over the semester break. Of course, we had a home rule that the uniform came off immediately after school. Great idea. Leave it to Delmar to "lead out" on this policy. I think this is a positive policy for the students - with all the peer pressure about clothing gone, they can now concentrate on classes, tests and final exams without worrying about what they are "wearing". Some of the families don't have the money necessary to buy all the trending clothes. I imagine they would be grateful to be able to purchase five shirts for the week and cheaper than the designer clothes. I look for the students to have a boost in their self esteem which will put them on more of an even level dealing with peer pressure. Too bad it would take wearing uniforms to do that, but...they are just kids. Good luck Delmar.

Anonymous said...

Why does everyone assume that the problem here is with "designer" clothes which cost more than "uniform attire". My children do not dress in designer clothes, unless and only if there is a huge sale or it is a hand-me-down.... Imagine that, hand-me-downs! Many of Delmar's study body qualify for reduced or free lunches... Do tell, where is their clothing going to come from? Or, like someone said earlier, is that burden going to somehow pass along to others who are struggling to keep afloat during these hard economic times? Obviously, there are alot of you out there who haven't yet been hit with the loss of a job, expenses surpassing your income, having to downsize just to break even. For my family, this is going to cause additional financial hardship. My children will still need other clothes, so this is just an additonal burden. Way to go, Delmar!!

Anonymous said...

Wow I have so much to say on this issue. It's very true that the current dress code is not being equally enforced. Just stand outside before or after school on any given day and you can see that for sure. The kid that wrote the Letter to the Editor made a great point about weight issues. Word is that the school board said that any kid who isn't comfortable tucking in their shirts may be encouraged to lose weight if they are uncomfortable and embarassed about the way they look in this new uniform, this uniform that is supposed to promote equality. Straight shooter, is there any way you can find out if it's true that Delmar school is receiving federal grant money to enforce this new uniform policy? I think this whole policy blows and the administration has no idea just how many angry adults there are outside of the school who are angry with the way the whole deal was done, very underhanded if you ask me.

Luckyduck said...

As a previous private catholic school child i wore uniforms for longer then i care to think about it. Altho it did eliminate the decision in the morning as to what will i wear today?

However, these uniforms were expensive. Being just plain white dress shirts & tan pleated skirts my parents paid out over $500 for these uniforms that included winter & summer shirts. & then there was $100 atleast in dress shoes that were appropriate to wear with my monkey outfit.

If the school system is going to decide to put all the students in uniforms so be it. But they should realize this, its not gonna keep the boys pants up (they will show their drawers). Its not gonna keep the girls chests in nor will it keep them from rolling their skirt (worst case scenario think Brittney Spears "Baby one more time" outfit). & these parents (who with the economy the way it is) are NOT going to be about purchasing clothing that is worn 8 hours a day 5 days a week for their child that will cost their left leg. If Delmar is so stuck on this idea of uniforms then they need to foot the bill bottom line.

& parents? if you dont want to have to foot this bill or deal with this situation the best thing i can think of to do is pay attention to your kids when they head out the door in the morning. Your baby boy/girl should not be walking out the door to school with half his/her ass hanging out. There is no need for your daughter to wear makeup like she is in a photo shoot for vouge. & why the hell cant your son pull his pants up? What do you think the appearence of your kids says about you? I know i watch school aged kids today thinking its a good damn thing they arent my child cause ill be damned if they would walk outta my house looking like that!!!

How do you enjoy your Turkey on Thanksgiving Day?

How close will the Presidential Election be in Electoral Votes?

If Joe gets advertisers, would you take your business else where because of it?

Who are you voting for in the 1st District? Andy Harris or Frank Kratovil

Has Joe gone to far with the leaked info on the deceased woman found in the Industrial Park?

Is Joe Stalking or In Love with Gary?

Should we back off the verbal attacks on family members unless they are involved with the posting?