Friday, April 4, 2008

Stupid Remark

Joe has a post reminding us that today marks the 40th anniversary of the assasination of Martin Luther King, Jr. He then complains that "the Mayor of Salisbury, (of course) has nothing planned for this day of remembrance/respect."

Umm, look, this observation is not meant to be racial or disrespectful, but the only other person that I can think of that we celebrate the life of, as well as the death of, is Jesus Christ. Technically, most everyone actually celebrates His birth and His resurrection. There is really nothing planned for Good Friday by the government, only by the Church. I'm not asking you to believe as I do, I am simply asking you to respect my belief. I figure if we don't do it for Jesus Christ himself, why do it for Martin Luther King Jr.?

Actually, I've tried to see what other mayor, besides that of Memphis, TN has planned something for the remembrance of his death. I can't find any. New York has nothing planned, nor does Chicago or Baltimore. Congress did mark the anniversary of his death with tributes "by House and Senate leaders and words of remembrance by lawmakers who once worked alongside the civil rights leader."

In my opinion, his post wasn't about what Memphis was doing for King, but what Barrie Tilghman wasn't. Give it up Joe. It was just another one of your stupid remarks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about January 15th? Isn't that enough for Joe?

gull92 said...

Well written, Shooter!

Joe Friday said...

Thanks Gull!

Anon, nothing is ever enough. But, if you'll recall, he f'd that post up too by making it one about the firefighters. My guess is that he's trying to make this post a comment producer as well.

Soapbox said...

Good Job Shooter!

The city does celebrate MLK day in Jan. and all employees are entitled to the day off. Just like Presidents Day. What more can Albero possibly want except to stir up comment using a the veiled issue of race.

Anonymous said...

January 15th is more than necessary.

Joe Friday said...

Anon1126,
I will not censor you comment as I appreciate your opinion. However, MLK Jr. is a great part of American history and, I feel, should be remembered. Sometimes I think we do get carried away, however. The only thing I really see about Lincoln and Washington (besides the day off for Government workers) are the retail sales ads from stores who are clamoring to make a buck. No doubt Mr. King was greatly instumental in the end of segregation, but no one (black community included) seems to remember that the slaves were freed under the Lincoln administration. In fact, the Emancipation Proclamation was not an act of Congress, but was a Presidential order. Be that as it may, I do believe that MLK is more than deserving of a day of remembrance. Thanks.

Idiot! said...

Lincoln didnt free the slaves. He freed the slaves in the South- which had already ceeded. It was a brilliant political move made to make this war seem to be about slavery to keep the French for aiding the South.

He did lead to push to ratify the 13th amendment which was pushed by progressives in the north and those that moved to the south to do the right thing.

This reminder of American Racial History was brought to you by the Minority Representative of the Blogs.

Fun reference blast from the past for those of you who have been reading the Anti-Albero blogs for awhile: Joey claiming that he isnt racist because his brother married a minority.

Joe Friday said...

Yes, Idiot, that is true..but it certainly set in motion the freedom of all slaves as the Confederacy began to lose to the Union forces. I should have clarified. Thanks for mentioning it and making me look like a complete fool. LOL. Whatever happened to you anyway? Where the hell you been?

Anonymous said...

Of all the Great People that have helped to shape and mold this Great Country that we live in, only one person, MLK has his own day of rememberance. For someone who caused quite a bit of civil unrest, I think it's mighty nice that he gets his own day in January, followed by Black History Month in February. Now we're supposed to pause the day he was slain? I don't think so Tim.

Anonymous said...

Well now, we have a lot of days to remember important events. Christmas, fer instance we're supposed to remember the birth of Christ even though the date is quite erroneous and perhaps is homage to a pagan ritual absorbed by Christianity. And Easter, WTF has a chocolate egg laying bunny got to do with Jesus rising from the dead.

Some will quite happily bitch about being forced to remember MLK for a day or black history for a month yet quite happily snark down the bastardization of their own faith in commercialized love fests with corporate greed.


It is richly ironic that a stupid remark by a stupid man evokes stupid remarks from some of his detractors.

NB: for many of you this doesn't apply. Don't think I'm tarring everyone with the same brush.

Anonymous said...

IMO....I think Joe needs to take some classes..in history, photography, penmanship, on how to be a human being, etc. I believe he is from another planet.
GO TO COLLEGE!

How do you enjoy your Turkey on Thanksgiving Day?

How close will the Presidential Election be in Electoral Votes?

If Joe gets advertisers, would you take your business else where because of it?

Who are you voting for in the 1st District? Andy Harris or Frank Kratovil

Has Joe gone to far with the leaked info on the deceased woman found in the Industrial Park?

Is Joe Stalking or In Love with Gary?

Should we back off the verbal attacks on family members unless they are involved with the posting?