Here is an article that will raise questions around here? How many Towns like Salisbury, that opposes collective bargaining are going to cry "Unfunded Mandate"? This could be a win for all our brothers and sisters in Law Enforcement and Fire and EMS. Let's see if the Senate can pass it with enough votes to over ride a Bush veto.
CQ TODAY MIDDAY UPDATE
May 16, 2008 – 1:53 p.m.
Senators Seek Deal on Bargaining Rights for First Responders
Final action on a bill to expand collective bargaining rights for public safety employees is likely next week after Senate leaders canceled Friday test votes on the legislation.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid , D-Nev., late Thursday scrapped a pair of scheduled votes to limit debate on the bill, saying leaders of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee were close to a bipartisan deal on how to handle amendments.
“They believe they can get from here to there and work out something so that we can wind up completing the bill,” Reid said. “I think people favor this legislation and they would vote for cloture if there is more of an opportunity to work on amendments.”
Democratic leaders bypassed the committee and brought the bill directly to the floor, drawing complaints from Michael B. Enzi , R-Wyo., the committee’s ranking Republican, that the measure had not been properly vetted.
The bill would provide broad collective bargaining rights to police, fire fighters, and other emergency personnel in localities with a population of at least 5,000 or a minimum of 25 full-time employees. First responders in most states already have at least some bargaining rights, and bill sponsors say such privileges should be extended to all public safety employees.
Opponents, including the White House, which has threatened a veto, say the new rights could compromise national security.
The bill has strong bipartisan support. The House passed it 314-97 on July 17, and the measure has gained 11 Republican senators as cosponsors.
Supporting the expansion of labor unions is unusual for Republicans, but experts say the limited scope of the union expansion envisioned in the bill — it applies only to police, fire and other emergency personnel and prohibits strikes — is a potentially defensible position for Republicans.
Still, some Republicans have criticized the bill as a unfunded mandate, and others say the measure is an unconstitutional infringement on state and local authority.
What is your view on this? Are you for or against it and why? Does anyone have experience being involved with collective bargaining in the political realm?
You saw it here first before any other "news source" on the shore. LOL
1 comment:
Every employee already has bargaining rights.
"Boss, I will make a deal with you, you pay me more (or give me certain benefits) and in return I will do more, or make more [of whatever it is I make for you], or work harder/faster, in other words; I will change the way I work so that you, my boss, can make more money."
"Boss if you do want to make this deal with me, then I am afraid I am going to have to seek employment elsewhere, therefore I am giving you my two weeks notice."
Every employee has the right to quit his job and work for someone else.
Post a Comment