I had been asked the question:
"I hope this is not the same as the Civic Center reconstruction after the fire -- the architect got a percent of the general contract, which included all the furniture and even consumables like towels and toilet paper -- what's the story on the station in the swamp?"
The achitect on record for the project was Davis, Bowen and Friedel. Their contract was negotiated directly with the General Contractor, Gillis Gilkerson. The amount paid to them by Gillis was $227,000. Their job on this project was to make sure that everything was built according to the specs.
In getting this answer, I also got a ton of other information. I will try my best to relay it to you, the way it was relayed to me.
When the idea of a new station was being tossed around, the volunteers hired Cole + Russell architects. One of their specialties is, you guessed it, firehouse design. The volunteers paid them $35,000 to do what is called a "space needs analysis". A simple set of plans was introduced which included everything a fire station for our area should have.
Land was acquired for the new station at a cost of $311,350.00. I know some aren't happy with the location, but as I've said before, a independant company was hired to do a study and see where the best place to build a new fire station was. That spot was it.
As the project moved forward, a place called Design Atlantic was hired to carry the project forward, while still working with Cole + Russell. This company brought the plans to about 40% of completion. The money paid to Design Atlantic was $431,680. This number is included in the "10 million dollar" price tag. Out of this money, engineers and testing companies were paid to make certain that the structure would meet necessary standards. Design Atlantic acted as the city's agent in building the structure. They sent out bids to several General Contractors and advised the city which bid came in lowest. Obviously, Gillis-Gilkerson was the low bid. After 1 change order, the contract amount to them was $8, 041,545.
The fitout of the building,which included furniture and fixtures, came to approximately $573,000.
Paving needed to be done on the roads around the project. The money for that was paid for out of the building's budget as well. That cost was aproximately $209,000.00.
As far as the bond money, there was an initial allocated amount of $500,000. In 2004, as another blog pointed out, there was an ordinance passed (Ordinance 1898) which allocated another 4 million dollars. The other ordinance mentioned (Ordinance 1934) was for the redesignation of funds from the aerial ladder truck to the purchase of two fire engines. There was no more money given there as some would like you to believe. To finish the financing for this project, the city chose Suntrust to lend 5.3 million dollars.
I believe the original cost proposal for this project was $9,855,000. The project finished at slightly under that cost.
Done, finished, occupied and from what I understand....enjoyed. I'm hoping to get to come around and see the new place soon.
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Shooter hits another Grand Slam..
Thanks for your hard work in searching out the truth.
Hey dickhead, this is FACT CHECKING. You might want to look into it before having to be anonymously corrected in 90% of your stories. That's right, you're peeking.
Great job shooter, stay on it. Thanks!
You said the land was $311,350.00. According to the land records the cost of the land was $636,000.00. Which price is correct?
anon1155,
Where can I find that amount? I'll go back to my source and ask...
http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/
It's about time for an outburst of incendiary diatribes from Albuttzo. He dropped to 5 on BNN MD this week. Looks like the kinder gentler Albuttzo isn't selling clicks. We can expect lots of idiots, losers and braking news this week. Look out below!!! Maybe even a pic of the mayor in shorts and her hubby in diapers. What will the latest conspiracy be? I still want to know who checked the Maryland Resident box for Aloser on his perjured documents. Was it the man himself or a lawyer? And if it was a lawyer, which one? We need someone new to make fun of.
Shooter:
In your rechecking, ask about a local architect named Jernigan (or something like that), who has no fire station experience, except this nightmare, I believe.
PS -- your data suggests that the new station in Pocomoke is a huge bargain by comparison. Please do a per square foot on both. And how about side by side pics?
Based on your data the cost of the Pocomoke palace was about $137.50 per square foot. On that basis, the cost of the Salisbury's swamp castle should be about $5,633,400. Another Tilghman rip-off it appears.
Thanks for your effort to expose another Salisbury scam in the doing of this new station. Please take a look at Barrie's latest budget shenanigans -- see Bob Caldwell's letter in the paper today. And why do they want 5 new fire engines in this budget, but no additional fire/ems personnel?
Anon743, I am assuming that Jernigan(?) is with DB&F since the other companies (I believe) are not local. I will check, but it was my understanding that the "expert" was Cole + Russell who continued to work with them on the project. I have more information on the Pocomoke Station, which I will hopfully be posting later today. I think that everyone needs to keep in mind that the needs of each station were different. While I've been told that Pocomoke does indeed have a beautiful new facility, the same contruction would not have met the needs of Salisbury.
I'm curious as to why people are calling this a "scam", when this venture was talked about for a long time in a public setting. It was all out in the open. Scam, by definition means "a fraudulent business scheme". This definition actually fits another recent occurance...and it has nothing to do with the council (if you know what I mean) ;)
I have to agree with you Shooter. The short of it is, this station was built with public involvement.
The location was studied by independent experts. The station was designed by a firm with prior fire station design experience. Space needs were discussed with the rank and file working in committees with the design firm. The city financed the building in public hearings.
The only reason this subject is being scrutinized is because Albero has an agenda with the administration of the City of Salisbury.
Comparing the Pocomoke Firehouse with Station 16 is comparing apples to oranges. I'm sure that the volunteers at Pocomoke have a fine building to be proud of. I also see some things that I would have done different there also.
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the Pocomoke station staffed 24 hours a day 7 days a weeks by at least 10 people? Ten personnel working, training, living in a building 24, 7,365 will take its toll on appliances, furniture, the building, you name it. And it is not that the firefighters will not take care of it. Those items wear out from use. I always say if you wish to prove the durability of an item, send it to a firehouse.
Station 16 was a good deal for Salisbury. It moved the firefighters and fire department administration out of a building that had far outlived the needs of the city. And it gives both the volunteers and career fire service of Salisbury something they can be proud of.
As a final note. To let everyone know I am a long time volunteer from the central part of Maryland. My station serves an area roughly half the size of Salisbury and has 35 to 40 thousand residents. We run, out of one station, 5000 calls a year split 60/40 EMS to fire calls. I have held operations position in the fire service from backstep firefighter to captain. I am nationally certified as a Fire Officer 4. I am also on the Board of Directors for my fire department. So yes Joe, I do know what I am talking about.
Shooter, Your work is right on. You took the time to find out the numbers and you have expertly communicated them to us in a manner that was easy to digest. Joe Albero needs to take a big lesson from you in how to run a blog.
Regards,
Mike W.
From the other side…..
Thanks Mike.
I stand correct, Jernigan is with Design Atlantic...actually there are two Jernigan's there. I'll see what I can find out.
I don't know how many fire stations Mr. Jernigan has been involved in, but by the look of their website, it's been more than one. You can find a summary of Mr. Jernigan's backround at
http://www.designatlantic.com/FJ.html
Anon743,
What comparison are you looking for? If you want one for labor and materials only, that information may be difficult to get. Using the figures that we have, Station 16 was $244/sq foot and Pocomoke was approximately $137/sq foot. BUT, there are other things that must be taken into consideration and I have tried my best to indicate what those are. As another reader said, this is like trying to compare grapes to cantilopes, not apples to apples.
Post a Comment