This is a portion of a recent comment which asked this question:
Please take a look at Barrie's latest budget shenanigans -- see Bob Caldwell's letter in the paper today. And why do they want 5 new fire engines in this budget, but no additional fire/ems personnel?"
This reader is referring to this letter from Bob Caldwell.
I'm not sure who the "they" in the above comment is referring to. What I can tell you is that there were indeed 5 vehicles requested by Chief See. Those are as follows: One (1) sedan, two (2) engines, and two (2) quints or medium duty ladder trucks that can function as engine companies. One engine and one quint each will be assigned to stations 1 and 2 for replacement of other vehicles. (Salisbury does have three stations if anyone is forgetting).
The proposed budget request to the mayor also included 12 new positions, 2 civilian and 2 uniformed. That number includes 10 firefighter/paramedics, 1 office associate and 1 Information Technology Coordinator. The ten FF/PM include four that had been requested when a third EMS unit had been placed in fulltime service and the other six were to increase the minimum staffing on capital apparatus from three (3) to four (4). The nationally recognized standard minimum staffing for capital apparatus is 4, however the department's minimum of 3 has become the norm due to understaffing. The Office Associate would assume the responsibility for all volunteer member related administrative issues and records management. The IT Coordinator would be an adequately trained professional data management and computer systems technician. This position doesn't seem unreasonable as the new station is a multi-million dollar facility with a " highly technical information technology system/s".
The mayor did not put these positions in the budget which was reviewed by council. That does not mean that she does not support or agree with those requests...it means she is trying to do her job and and work with the revenue she has. I understand that a "supplementary budget" was to have been presented which included the requests of the Police Department and the Fire Department. I'm not sure why the administration decided on this method either, but I will try to find out.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Please tell us why it is no longer appropriate for the mayor to turn in the entire proposed budget by the date (April 15) specified in the Charter, and how she expects the Council to add much if anything since her proposed budget already requires over one million dollars to balance (and another 4 Million of surplus to avoid a sewer and water increase).
Is it true that some of the fire apparatus that she wants to replace is less than 10 years old and in good condition?
And explain this paid position: "The Office Associate would assume the responsibility for all volunteer member related administrative issues and records management." Isn't that a volunteer function???
Oh no, you won't get me on that one. I never said I agreed with what the administration decided to do. I said I'd TRY to find out WHY they (the administration) made that decision (only presenting 3% over last year). I wouldn't think she'd be able to come up with anything without more revenue. AGAIN, I don't approve of what's been done, but the result would have been the same, don't you think? Bitch because there would a proposed increase to satisfy the "greedy" fire department, or cut the salaries from the budget anyway?
Other answers are on their way (hopefully).
You said:
"The mayor did not put these positions in the budget which was reviewed by council. That does not mean that she does not support or agree with those requests...it means she is trying to do her job and and work with the revenue she has."
Are you now taking over for the Daily Times as Barrie's booster-in-chief?
When we can't fund enough FF/EMS personnel, how do you explain funding for an "attitude survey," an "All-American City" contest and more money for the Mayor's office (for Lore's salary, etc.)?
And FYI, she wants to cut road replacement, again, by $100,000 this time, to get money for those things.
Maybe you should have finished that quote. I was told that the mayor prepared a balanced budget to be submitted for review and approval. Is this something new? Is this her job? Or not? If it is, then my statement is true. As for the rest, I cannot answer that question for you. I will try to get more information..or...you could.
I don't disagree with you about the "frivilous" costs you mentioned. What is it that you would like me to do about it?
Easy Joey! You're peeking again little man!
It was very evident to me since day one of this blog that it was not created to defend or promote any certain politicians, groups,, etc.
But rather it was started for several other purposes.
1. To expose the other side of the story that the "other site" refuses to tell. We all know that the "other site" hates the mayor because his wife was fired.
2. Allow EVERYBODY to comment and say their opinion and side of a story. I have on many occasions left respectful comments there pointing out different facts and inconsistencies. Of course they never got posted.
How was that a pretty good summary?
Keep up the good work, you are appreciated, Shooter.
Good to see that Blowbero was paying attention Saturday night when he was taking his pictures of "Delmarva Little Leaguers Pack Perdue Stadium".
While it is true that Delmar and one other Little League were introduced and paraded around the field, ALL of Joey's pics are of reading program participants from Virginia Shore, the upper Shore, and somewhere in Delaware.
Way to pay attention! Nice shirt at the ballgame Saturday nite, by the way, was it the same one you were wearing in your mugshot?
The fire station was far too expensive to start with. If I were a firefighter I'd stop bitching and asking for more because you got what you wanted. Now go poor like the rest of us and see who listens when you complain. No one and that's the whole point.
Just off the subject a bit - the inning by inning account of the Shorebirds games on SBY News looks similiar to what is displayed on MILB.com for that given game. You can go on line and get this as it's happening for any game in the minor leagues, making it easy to post what is going on reasonably close to the time it's actually taking place. This Nick Loffer character can actually be posting this without attending the game. Not sure if this is allowed without permission of MILB but I guess he could be changing it or adding to it to make it seem like it's all his writing. ??????
Anon1131,
Is there an archive section I can look at?
All:
Shooter is correct that Tilghman turned in a "balanced" (using over 1 Million of surplus) budget a few weeks ago. What it didn't do was include the new fire and police (uniformed, not civilian) positions that Chief See and Chief Webster recommended, or indicate even that those requests had been made and rejected. Nor does it have any COLA for City employees (and only a 1/2 step increase, except for a chosen few such as Ms. Chambers).
Now, Tilghman is apparently letting the departments go directly to the Council seeking more proposed expenditures, but with no proposal about where the additional funding would come from.
Besides the matters mentioned above, there's 100,000 being cut from the road replacement account, that will be consumed by the higher legal fees, increases for mayor's office, attitude study and "All American City" fees, all of which are proposed in the mayor's "balanced" budget.
Salisbury's budget distress is astounding when one realizes that the City's tax rate has been increased by more than 25% in just the past 5 years, during which the tax revenue has risen by more than 50% due to the tax increase and skyrocketing property value (higher assessments).
Even though we can't fund the needed police and fire personnel
without spending more surplus and/or raising taxes, Tilghman wants to replace 5 pieces of fire apparatus, including several that are still fairly new. Go figure...
And if you still have stamina, consider that the sewer and water rates would have to be increased substantilally but for a major application of the accumulated surplus -- over $4 Million.
The City is at the leading edge of a fiscal "perfect storm" with growth and development continuing a free-fall that will soon spread to the major revenue source (property tax), after years of wasteful spending and neglect of roads and other infrastrucure. Look for more major tax rate increases like last year. That may not happen this year, because of the upcoming City election next year, but will surely be needed in 2009, after the election (does that sound familiar-?).
Anon1140,
It is true that two of the vehicles being replaced are not 10 years old(2000 & 2002), but they do not meet department specifications and are costing a small fortune in maintenance and repair expenses. In addition, these units were manufactured by a company who has filed bankruptcy which makes parts for the vehicles difficult (and expensive) to purchase. As for your other question, it has been suggested that you might like tom apply for the office associate's position on a volunteer basis. It shouldn't be too difficult a task to perform this job, as well as your full time job and whatever other obligations you may have.
Are you saying that the water and sewer increases would not be for water and sewer expenses? Is that right? Also, you posted before I moderated comments, two of the five vehicles are under ten years old but are apparently becoming money pits and no longer meet department specs. I'm not sure of the safety of the equipment, but please keep in mind that we don't want preventable accidents to occur either. Thanks for your comments.
Shooter:
You have swallowed the bait, hook, line & sinker on the two American-LaFrance units. A-LF did go into a reorganization ("Chapter 11" bankruptcy) earlier this year but it has revitalized. That's just one of the ridiculous reasons advanced for replacing those two units. "Do not meet departmental specifications" -- then why did they get them just a few years ago???
Who writes your stuff - Barrie Tilghman?
Latest on Am-Laf:
American LaFrance says creditors are on board
By Peter Hull (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Thursday, May 1, 2008
The future of emergency vehicle maker American LaFrance LLC, in bankruptcy since January, is back on track after its creditors voted overwhelmingly in favor of its bankruptcy reorganization plan, the company announced Wednesday.
A judge in Wilmington, Del., is scheduled to decide May 22 whether to approve the Summerville-based company's financial restructuring.
"Based on broad and deep creditor support, we are optimistic that the court will approve the plan," said William Snyder, American LaFrance's chief restructuring officer, in a statement.
Meanwhile, the company is boosting operations as it exits bankruptcy.
Michael Gordon, the company's director of sales, marketing and customer support, said production is running "wide open."
Shooter - Go on MILB.com and choose the South Atlantic League under the "league" section at the top of the page, you can then go to a given game . The game I'm referring to would be 5/3/08.. Something else interesting is why he only does certain games and not all of them
I'm done beating the horse. I posted answers to what I thought were real concerns. I've said all I can say...I've asked all the questions I could ask from everyone I could ask. I did review Resolution 1301 and the amount paid for the land was less than previously noted...so I guess we saved that much more on the station. I think you people are possibly looking for something that just ain't there. Find me something on Salisbury Trust, LLC and there MIGHT be more reason to go there. Until then, this dog isn't chasing his tail anymore. Not happy with my answers? Satisfy yourselves with the answers you get on "the other blog". Thanks for stopping in.
Shooter
It’s really surprising that those fairly new fire trucks/quints don’t meet “departmental specifications”, so please provide the facts – like what way(s) do they fall short, and why did the City buy them if that’s the case. My brother (he’s a fireman on the western shore) tells me that it is common for towns to use vehicles for 15-20 years even if they don’t meet the latest specifications that might apply to brand new units.
You have also told us that they are “money pits” (expensive to repair and maintain), so please give those details too.
Post a Comment