I always talk about a dead horse being beaten and now I feel as if the stick has been handed off to me. I will try again to tell you what I have learned about the new Pocomoke Fire Station. My friend Joe Perdue took a tour of the facility yesterday and asked a few questions while being given a tour of their new home. AGAIN, let me reiterate, THIS FACILITY PROBABLY PERFECTLY SUITS THEIR NEEDS. It is NOT my intention to degrade Pocomoke's new facility in any way. They worked very hard at securing funds for their new location and they should be very proud of what they have accomplished.
According to their Grand Opening Program, the new facility is a total of 19,500 square feet. An article on Delmara Now reports the facility as 16,500 square feet. According the the Pocomoke representative the $2.2 million only included contruction costs. It did not include the land aquisition, old building demolition, or concrete removal. I am not sure what equipment (if any) was included in this figure either. Joe P. reports that within the building are 2 small offices, approximately 15 x 15 in size, a slightly larger rec room with a pool table, TV and chairs, a meeting/training room approximately 24 x 24. There is fairly small household type kitchen, a small bunk room (no bunks in place yet), a mechanical room, restrooms, and an upstairs storage area that is currently unfinished. They do have 7 suspended cleaning units that come on when equipment is started and censors indicate the air needs venting, but this obviously occurs after fumes have already been emitted. They did not use the system that Salisbury has in place because it was not cost effective for them. The have a small kitchen which was not designed for commercial use but for "the use of members on meeting night, drill nights, and sleep over crews when the have them." At this time, the only time they have sleep over crews is when there is a,severe storm, hurricane, or blizzard. Pocomoke does have plans to move forth with the second Phase of their construction which will include a community building. This facility will include (according to the above Delmarva Now article) 2 kitchens and a museum.
Obviously, the new Station 16 is much more spacious as it was designed to include administrative offices and a training facility. It also houses 24 hour sleepover crews. Maybe some don't agree that they needed commercial grade appliances. I certainly hope that the guys and gals will make good use of the kitchen facilities so I don't have to hear anymore bitching about the crews going to Super Giant and Panera for food. LOL. The new Station 16 also uses the PlymoVent exhaust removal system. This innovative sytem captures the exhaust at the tailpipe and vents thereby eliminating almost 100% of the fumes inside the building. Some might ask why Pocomoke's system wasn't good enough for Salisbury. Pocomoke's website reports they have run 37 fire calls since January. Salisbury's site reports 257 calls in January alone. Yes, I do realize this figure includes all stations, but it is a reference point to realize the need for the exhaust system that Salisbury has chosen.
I'm not sure what else to say about the subject. Pocomoke and Salisbury each built what they thought they needed to accomodate the citizens in their respective communities. Both are a "done deal".
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Shooter:
Did you ever get the land cost in Salisbury straight -- like how much -- and what about the foreclosure sale shortly before the city bought the site? It's really smelly, I'm told.
On the PlymoVent situation, is Pocomoke a paid station? If it isn't, then the requirements under OSHA in terms of air quality are substantially lower, since the Fire Station isn't a "work area". Volunteer corporations are not under nearly the scrutiny that paid organizations are because of this fact.
The same "may" be true on the commercial grade appliance front.
Jesus Christ, let it go.
Do you always piggyback off of Salisbury News articles? I'm a taxpayer in Salisbury and you can believe one thing, the taxpayers got fu(ked on this deal. They mayor and others pocketed millions of dollars on this one.
You should rename this blog, Lipstick on a Pig.
I haven't been following this through the entire process, so I'm not sure about the foreclosure sale of which you speak. I have several questions to pass along to the source who has been helping me, but I've been trying to put everything together and I didn't want to bother them on the weekend. I don't want to wear out my welcome. LOL. I'll try to get this out tomorrow. Thanks for the interest.
Anon345,
This post was a result of questions asked ON THIS BLOG and I feel I have an obligation to answer them. If I wanted to be just like Salisbury News, I'd find a picture of an ass and plaster it all over the place with ignorant comments...oops, sorry that was the "old" Salisbury News.
PS Anon,
While I don't ALWAYS piggyback off of the "other blog", what I post here is usually the other side of whatever tarnished coin is being tossed around. If you wish to continue to hear just one side of a story, then perhaps you should only visit there.
Thanks for the informative article. I choose not to get my information from the "other" blog because it is often inaccurate and is rarely corrected.
Gunpowder
Pocomoke is a volunteer house and does not have a live in crew. You are correct about the venting system and I will say the system in place is more than adequate for their needs.
anon 3:45
The mayor and others pocketed millions? I hear this shit of dumbasses site but neither you nor he are able to prove these statements. Kindly do so or shut the fu(k up
I don't know which statement is more stupid.
"Jesus Christ, let it go."
or this one
"They mayor and others pocketed millions of dollars on this one."
I thought Wayne Barrall, (fun4all) was through with the blogs? Welcome back Wayne.
I am no fire fighter. Nor do I portray one online. It seems to me that the "other blog" was comparing apples and oranges, not apples and apples. Salisbury is bigger than Pocomoke. It has more square miles, more people, more buildings, more stores, more everything. Of course it needs a bigger fire station.
For those that don't think the station is necessary....when and if you need a fireman......call Pocomoke for God sake.
Anon,
Please turn your pad around. You put the sticky side down not up. It makes things more comfortable down there.
Joe, just to let you know. This site shows more truth then yours. The only reason people go to your site is to get a laugh out of the delusional thoughts you and your supposed "writers" dream up.
Please take your medicine Joe. It scares me when you don't. LoL
Mike W.
"I thought Wayne Barrall, (fun4all) was through with the blogs? Welcome back Wayne."
I thought you were through with them too, Joe? (question mark was the dead giveaway). Also, unless he posted this news somewhere else, you and I are the only one's who would have known this. I just asked him and he said he is, and always has been, "havesomefun". I don't know who "fun4all" is and it doesn't really matter...and shouldn't to anyone. I'd prefer to stay away from the id accusation thing here. Save that happy horseshit for the "other blog".
Post a Comment