Friday, December 21, 2007

Am I a Thief?

While I am awaiting an answer, I thought I would ask this question. When a student writes papers and directly quotes from copyrighted material, they must write the direct quote within quotation marks and must cite the source of the information in the bibliography. Why is this so much different than writing a college paper? People write papers all the time which challenge the works of others. I can't imagine those authors gave permission for that to happen either. Just wondering....

My Mama always said if someone copies you they admire you. Won't you believe that Joe?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe's tried this so many times I have the link set on my side bar.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Be sure to let us know as soon as Mr. Ruark calls you.

Anonymous said...

What Works Are Protected?

Copyright protects “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

literary works;
musical works, including any accompanying words
dramatic works, including any accompanying music
pantomimes and choreographic works
pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
motion pictures and other audiovisual works
sound recordings
architectural works
These categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and most “compilations” may be registered as “literary works”; maps and architectural plans may be registered as “pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works.”

What Is Not Protected by Copyright?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)
This is from the http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wwp
explaining what is and isn't copyrighted.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the GREAT work.....

Anonymous said...

I bet your well on your way to getting 70,000 hits today.. haha.

Joe Friday said...

Anonymous said...
I bet your well on your way to getting 70,000 hits today.. haha.

December 21, 2007 11:24 AM

I doubt it...but that is not the reason here. I actually wanted people to be able to respond to Joe's post and that hasn't happened yet. I almost think I'm defeating my own purpose.

Joe Friday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

they are definately responding to Joe's BS. I'm beginning to understand the viseral hate is not about what he's posting but about him as a person!

Anonymous said...

I will guarantee you one thing. When old Joe threw out that threat he had no idea how many people were actually watching this site. Especially on what is considered to be a slow day in blogland, Friday.
Hell I got a call on vacation to turn on my computer and check this out!
I agree with the blogger who commented on your previous post. Someone needs to ask Mr. Ruark if he is aware that Joe is using his name to try and harass people.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a former College/ Grad Student who has written tons of papers....You cited the source, you didn't claim ownership.....you're legal.
JJ is just pissed because youre getting the hits and he's not.
Hell he took on the Fire Department to get his hits up. Otherwise he's a mental masturbating moron......and yes yall can use that! I give my permission

Soapbox said...

mental masturbating.....

Now that's a picture I could live without-----BUT IT'S FUNNY AS HELL!

How do you enjoy your Turkey on Thanksgiving Day?

How close will the Presidential Election be in Electoral Votes?

If Joe gets advertisers, would you take your business else where because of it?

Who are you voting for in the 1st District? Andy Harris or Frank Kratovil

Has Joe gone to far with the leaked info on the deceased woman found in the Industrial Park?

Is Joe Stalking or In Love with Gary?

Should we back off the verbal attacks on family members unless they are involved with the posting?