Sunday, December 9, 2007

Joe's Ass Backward

Joe is talking about Station 74 here (Delmar) "IF the local Fire Department can't handle something like a house fire, someone's not managing their company properly."

Later he says this: One Station is good enough for me, I live in DELMAR!

Could it be because he suddenly remembered who visited his house regarding the Barrall incident? None other than the Fire Chief who is running the company and was in command for this incident. Usually you kiss their ass, then stab them in the back. This time you're ass backward.

8 comments:

Gunpowder Chronicler said...

Let's just hope for Joe's grandson's sake that the compound never burns.

If I had to rely on ONLY Maryland Line VFC for my fire protection, I might as well burn my house now.

Last winter we had an old apple mill (I mean really old-- like 150 years old) burn down. It took 3 whole fire companies just to contain and knock down the fire, while another company from PA helped ferry water to the scene.

See, up here in the vale of the Gunpowder, the vollies working together to provide coverage across a larger area is the way things happen. I am sure it is much the same everywhere else!

Oh, and one thing I have learned from reading The Watchdesk -- and maybe this is wrong-- but here it is:

There is no such thing as a simple house fire. Every single fire is different.

gull92 said...

Excellent point, Gunpowder. I grew up in Harford County and have since relocated to Wicomico. Up there, the vollies are continually providing support to each other on "simple house fires" and "simple barn fires" and the like! Teamwork among companies is the order of the day.

Chuck Norris said...

Since Joseph's compound is in a non-hydrant area, if his house cought on fire they'd only have Delmar's tanker.

When it became empty, I assume it will be ok for the fire supression to stop so the tanker can go refill.

Anonymous said...

We can only hope. I wonder what he would do if Barrall was driving the first engine in to his house fire?

Things that make you go ummmm..

Anonymous said...

I just hope they are just finishing filling the swimming pool at the YMCA when the call comes out.

Gunpowder Chronicler said...

gull92,

You make a great point. About 10 years ago, I rented a house in White Hall right off Hunters Mill Road. The tenant before us had lit the thing off pretty well with an old lamp that caught fire from a power surge after a power outage.

Guess where the vollies came from to fight that fire?

That's right-- Blackhorse, just down the road in Harford County. (Yes, Hereford eventually showed up, too...)

Since you know Harford County, you probably know where I live-- right on York Road below MD 439. (And when I say right "on" York Road, I mean, about 10 feet from the shoulder to my porch). It is not uncommon for me to see trucks and engines from New Freedom, Shrewsbury, etc. plowing down York Road to support Maryland Line and Hereford.

One "department" (or company) is rarely enough.

Besides the regular FF duties, a lot of those smokeeaters help with traffic direction, hauling equipment, command and control operation, and cleanup. And to the point you make -- if you have to set up a water ferrying operation, an entire company can just run the resevoir pool and pumping aparatus for that.

I'm not a firefighter, but my bet is that calling in a second company on a structure fire is pretty SOP-- because you may need to go in and get that first team out if the crap hits the fan.

And I have rarely seen a fire up here where you only attack the fire from "one side". Fire being fire, I doubt it burns any different on the Eastern Shore.

Anonymous said...

Only burns differently when JJ sets the fire so he can take pictures of the firemen.

gull92 said...

Gunpowder,

I'm originally from a bit east of there, but know the area well! Ah, memories...

Enjoy the snow last week? Believe it or not, that's the thing I miss the most (at least in small doses)!

How do you enjoy your Turkey on Thanksgiving Day?

How close will the Presidential Election be in Electoral Votes?

If Joe gets advertisers, would you take your business else where because of it?

Who are you voting for in the 1st District? Andy Harris or Frank Kratovil

Has Joe gone to far with the leaked info on the deceased woman found in the Industrial Park?

Is Joe Stalking or In Love with Gary?

Should we back off the verbal attacks on family members unless they are involved with the posting?